Sight, smell, touch, taste and sound. Without these five senses, life would be virtually impossible, and not nearly as enjoyable. But did you know that there is a whole scientific discipline, called sensory science, that studies humans’ reaction to taste, texture, smell, and appearance of various food and non-food products? At the Sensory Evaluation Center at Penn State, our sensory scientists, flavor scientists, food chemists, process and package engineers, and nutritionists work together to better understand how specific ingredients, processes, packages, or storage conditions affect the sensory properties of foods. The results help the food industry address consumer demand for new and improved products.
We invite you to learn more about sensory science — as well as participate in some fun experiments that will test your ability to gauge the sweetness or saltiness of several foods — by attending our interactive presentation in the Sensory Evaluation Center at Penn State. We guarantee you'll leave with a better "sense" of the world around you.
This tour is sponsored by the American Chemical Society.
- This tour will leave from the lobby of the Nittany Lion Inn for a 14-minute walk (rain or shine) on uneven ground to the facility.
- Please dress accordingly for the weather.
- To arrange transportation assistance, inquire at the check-in desk.
- Our on-campus bus loops are free and ADA accessible; please view this map to see where the bus stops are.
- Monday, October 28th, 10:30 am to 12:30 pmAdd to Calendar
- Meet Penn State rep in the lobby of the Nittany Lion Inn to walk to location.